We at A Fairer Chance would like to wish all our employers, partners and beneficiaries a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
2015 has been a year of continued hard work building relationships with employers and finding the best opportunities for our beneficiaries. Amongst a changing environment, brought about through the implementation of the Transforming Rehabilitation agenda, it’s also been a year of great recognition for our work. Here are some highlights:
- On Friday 13th February, Director Maggie Walsh was awarded an MBE for services to the employment of ex-offenders, and attended the investiture at Buckingham Palace. We wrote about her outstanding achievement here.
- In March Cleshar Contract Services nominated A Fairer Chance for the Pre-employment Training and Job Brokerage Award, detailing our work presenting employers with a sound business case for employing young Londoners with convictions or who are not in education, employment or training (NEET), and the committed pre-employment support we offer young people, to turn lives around through employment. We won, and attended the award ceremony at City Hall.
- This year we took on our first beneficiary under work experience, who has been learning the ropes with us here at A Fairer Chance. Since we wrote about Reese at the end of October, a fantastic opportunity has arisen, which we can hopefully tell you more about in the New Year.
- We completed a successful programme in Lambeth, where we helped over 50 beneficiaries with barriers to work, to either move into training or paid employment.
- We’re half way through another Waltham Forest programme, and have seen 21 local residents go into work in the last four weeks.
- This year we ran a number of prison events, to which we brought our fantastic employers to meet beneficiaries. These included jobs fairs at HMP Brixton jobs fair in January, and HMP/YOI Isis and HMP Holloway in March.
- At the HMP Holloway jobs fair in March we met a beneficiary called Sarah, who along with another of our clients, was successful in her application for the prestigious Fifteen Apprenticeship Programme. We asked her about the experience back in July.
- We had our first successful placement directly with TfL. Ossie impressed them to such a degree we’ve been asked in consequence to discuss a second placement within the same department, which would involve a further recruitment selection day in the New Year.
- A Fairer Chance moved into the digital world for the first time in 2015, and we ran a successful campaign focusing on real life second chances, made possible by A Fairer Chance.
- To round off the year we attended the BITC Impact Exhibition last week, part of their AGM and Annual Leadership Network. Here we got the chance to meet a number of great enterprises alongside a host of open minded employers, with whom we look forward to establishing further contact in the New Year. The event was very well attended, and we found ourselves in royal company once again, as HRH The Prince of Wales, (BITC is the Prince’s responsible business network), was in attendance.
Thank you to all our partners and employers for their support this year.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
The A Fairer Chance Team