Where to start

If you have a criminal record and are on licence or probation you may be eligible to sign up to the moving on project.

You can also get help with job searches at your local Job Centre.

Before you start looking for work you should make sure you have everything in place to ensure you are able to work in the UK.

Proof of right to work

Nearly all employers need you to be able to show proof of right to work in the UK. This needs to be either a valid (in date) passport or your long birth certificate. If you are not from the EU you must be able to provide all documentation that proves your right to work in the UK.

Some employers will also need to see photographic ID if you do not have a passport. This can be a UK driving licence/ provisional licence or a citizenship card.

Proof of address

Most employers will ask for proof of address. This can be a bank statement or utility bill that is addressed to yourself and sent to your address. This needs to be dated within 3 months of using as proof.

A bank account

Employers will now only pay wages into the employee’s bank account; you cannot use a friend or family member’s account. Some will not pay into a Post Office account either.

You can open a basic bank account for as little as £1 at most high street banks. Just take along photo ID and proof of address and most can help you set up an account in your name.